Make this. That’s all I have to say about this dip.
I altered Delish Knowledge’s recipe to what I had in my pantry for a last minute dip for our “friends night” and I have continued to make this for friends and family for the last two years. Honestly, I don’t even tell my guests what it is until they have gobbled it all up (I make sure no one is allergic to cashews or soy beforehand, of course).
Throw a few ingredients in a blender, saute the onion, and heat it all up. You will NOT be disappointed.
- 1 1/2 cups of raw cashews, soaked for at least an hour, drained
- 1 orange bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 cup of non-dairy milk (I use almond*)
- 2 tsp of chili powder
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast (start with 1/4 & add to taste**)
- 1/2 of a sweet onion, diced
- 1 package of Trader Joe’s Soy Chorizo***
- 1 can of Original Rotel, drained
- Olive Oil to saute
- Salt to taste
- Sliced green onion to garnish
(Serves a large party or 8 – 10 hungry guests)
Place the cashews, pepper, milk, chili powder, and nutritional yeast in a food processor and blend till smooth. Let it go for a few minutes as you dice your onion. Saute the onion on medium heat in a skillet or LARGE pan until the onions begin to become transparent, about 3-4 minutes. Add in the soy chorizo and cook for about 2 minutes. Stir in the Rotel. Slowly, stir in the “cheese” mixture and simmer till hot. Add in more nutritional yeast and salt, if necessary. Garnish with green onion. Serve with tortilla chips and/or veggies!
*Use original, if possible. I’m not going to lie, I always have vanilla almond milk in the fridge. It works just fine.
**I use just under 1/2 cup.
***ONLY use the TJ’s brand. I’ve tried other soy chorizos and they just don’t match up.